7 Ways to Get Your Taxes Done for Free

Volunteer income tax assistance

VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) is a free program sponsored by IRS, which uses experienced volunteers that help taxpayers complete basic federal and state tax returns.

Who is eligible: Generally speaking, any taxpayer who earns $54,000 a year (or less) is eligible for the program. Also, people with disabilities or non-native English abilities can benefit from the services.

Where to get it:

  • Use this online tool that lets you know exactly when and where you can find free VITA tax preparation help; you can also call 800-906-9887 and make an appointment;
  • You can file your own state and federal tax forms using a modern software with help from an IRS-certified volunteer; you can find this option at any VITA locations which has ‘Self-Prep’ listed in the site.


Tax counselling for the elderly

Another great option offered by the IRS certified volunteering programs is beneficial for older taxpayers via TCE (Tax Counseling for the Elderly). In this case, many of the volunteers themselves are retirees associated with non-profit organizations.

Who is eligible: According to the IRS, the program ‘offers free tax help for all taxpayers, particularly those who are 60 years of age and older.’ Meanwhile, AARP claims it offers ‘individualized tax preparation for low-to moderate-income taxpayers — especially those 50 and older.’

Where to get it:

  • In order to locate the closest AARP TCE Tax-Aide site in your city, you can use this AARP online locator or call 888-227-7669;
  • Use this IRS online locator tool to find out where you can get free TCE tax preparation help or to make an appointment; you can also call 800-906-9887 and get professional guidance.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1 thought on “7 Ways to Get Your Taxes Done for Free”

related posts
from our network