In time, the United States have witnessed a series of shocking events, which left the majority of people baffled. Some of them changed the society and its mindset and some of them made significant changes regarding a few laws.
The Constitution can be tricky, some laws are written very vague and can be easily misinterpreted, which can result into tragic actions.
Through the course of history several sad incidents occurred which had a huge impact and after which significant laws and acts were made and named.
Let’s take a look at some of them:
1. Megan’s Law was named after 7-year-old Megan Kanka, whose life was tragically taken by a known child predator living near her house. Through this law communities are warned when someone on the offenders list is moving in their neighborhood so that tragedies like this one won’t happen again.
2. The Donda West Bill requires patients to go to a health check and have a doctor’s clearance before they undergo plastic surgeries without any risks. This law was passed after Donda West, Kanye West’s mother, passed away during a plastic intervention.
3. The Mann Act (also known as the White Slave Traffic Act) was named after its author, Republican Congressman James R. Mann and makes it illegal to transport women for “immoral purposes”. This law’s purpose was to restrict prostitution. Many celebrities at the time were caught violating this act.
4. The Tokyo Rose Statutes say foreigners are not allowed to own more than 25% of any broadcaster. This law was named after the anti-American Japanese propaganda which took place during World War II.
5. The Ryan White CARE Act was named after the famous HIV patient Ryan White and it financially helps suffering patients which run out of funds for their treatment and care.
6. In 1996, 9 year old Amber Hagerman was kidnapped and murdered. A concerned mother who have been following the case called a radio station and came up with the revolutionary idea of alerts any time a child is missing. The suggestion was taken by the police and would later be called Amber Alert.
7. Just like the other ones the story behind the Kari’s Law is a sad one which helped in preventing other tragedies. A few years ago, Kari Hunt Dunn was stabbed to death in a hotel room in front of her three children. Even though one of them tried to call 911, the called failed because they had to dial a prefix first. This rule was changed in hotels with the help of Kari’s Law in order to prevent other unfortunate stories like this one from happening again.
8. The Ali Act named after Muhammad Ali is protecting boxer’s rights and specifies that organizations are not allowed to receive any money unless it meets the regulations and doesn’t violate any policies.